Did you know there are 850,000 people with Dementia in the UK? 225,000 will develop Dementia this year, that’s one every three minutes. This means that as we live longer we will all know someone who has Dementia.
It’s important that people with dementia can visit their GP practice and get the care and support they need.
We at Swan Medical Group have ‘Dementia Friendly’ status across our four sites and we pledge to support people affected by dementia by:
- Increasing dementia awareness and understanding for all practice staff
- Making appointments and using the GP telephone systems and website
- Navigating the physical environment of the practice with dementia friendly signage and clear, uncluttered surgeries
- Having systems in place to help to remember to attend appointments
- Understanding the individual needs of people affected by dementia, to enable them to express their concerns with the GP
- Working with patients and their carers to recall details of discussions regarding their care
Included here are some useful contacts and links for support or advice if you are living with dementia or caring for someone with dementia:
- About Dementia https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/
dementia/about/ and https://www.dementiauk.org/ about-dementia/
- Dementia support contact: 0800 888 6678 email@example.com
- Alzheimer’s Society website (for anyone affected by dementia): https://www.
- Dementia Connect: https://www.